Thursday, August 11, 2011

Thoughtful Thursday--Angry Mama Bird


Warning: If you have an unwavering love for your iPhone or iPod apps, you may want to forgo reading this "soapbox" post of mine. This Thursday, I just need to get a few things off my chest. Or, if you prefer, indulge me with a few moments of your time . . . .

A few months ago, my little sister sat on the stool at my mother's house, playing with her phone, when she turned to me and asked, "So, Mel, what kind of apps do you have?" "Uh, no apps--I just have a phone." You know, a normal phone. The kind you call people someone with when you are stranded on the side of the road. The same phone I get calls on when my daughter is sick at school. That is the purpose of my phone.

I don't get this whole "Do-You-Have-the-Latest-App" movement. (And, again, I apologize if you are one of those who has every possible app ever offered for a phone and love your apps.) Now, I know there are some very helpful tools that are quite cool. Lately the translator app on my husband's phone came in handy when we had our foreign exchange student living with us. Necessary? Not really. I'm pretty sure we could have got along just fine without it. And then there's the Gas Buddy app. It was helpful on our recent CA trip, where we found the cheapest gas was offered near us. But, truthfully, we drove a few miles further to save, what, $1? So, here's my soapbox tonight: Is it all worth it? And why is our society going berserk over phone technology? You name it--there's an app for it! Raise your hand if you think it is time we take a breather from phone-tech.

What I don't like is what it is doing to my kids. My husband's phone AND iPod have numerous apps and games that will keep our young boys occupied for hours. Hours! Not sure I love this idea. Let's ingrain this must-be-constantly-doing-something at an early age so they can't focus later in school? I don't think so. How about sending them outside to play ball or ride their bike. Novel idea.

Their current obsession? I'll name just a few. First there is Angry Birds. Who hasn't heard of this? It has taken our world by storm--even Build-A-Bear has them now! But, what is it?! You fling a bunch of squawky, crazy, and might I add, UGLY birds (either one at a time, or better yet, make them split into 3) at some even uglier pigs who are just hangin' out, until they pop. Not sure I get this. And, does anyone know why they are "angry" exactly? I recently read an article written by a psychiatrist that was supposed to explain the obsession with Angry Birds, but the only thing I got from the article was that the psychiatrist enjoyed the game just as much as the next person. See, world? You have all been sucked in. Conned, people.

Onto my next beef: So, my 4-year-old, tearfully approached my husband the other day (whilst holding Dad's iPod) and said, "Dad, I tried to feed the little zombie, but it wouldn't eat." Todd consoled him with, "Sorry, buddy, he must be dead." What!? Then, just yesterday, the same 4-year-old, again playing some zombie game, exclaimed to his older brother, "I got more brains Andrew!" They talked more about the game and every once in a while I'd hear things interjected like, "when that person is dead. . . " or "that zombie is ready to be picked. . ." Again, what!? Zombie Farm is a game (though I use that word loosely) where you harvest zombies. My 4-year-old is growing zombies in a garden. Who makes this stuff up? I'm not okay with my boys talking about dead bodies and brains! What is wrong with people?

Okay, perhaps I am too conservative. Perhaps this 34-year-old mom could already be considered an out-of-date fuddy-duddy. Perhaps I will lose many loyal readers tonight because of what I say and will be left to fight this battle on my own, but darn it, I can't see many positive outcomes if my kids (or anyone) heads down the addictive app path of fiery destruction. Like I said, people, let's all breathe for a moment. Yoga app anyone? Yep, they've got that one too. Put the phone or iPod down and breathe with me, sans technology.

Okay, I feel better already.

Namaste. Good night.

2 comments:

David and Jana said...

Oh Mel, I hear you and I agree! My phone is just a phone as well and I like it that way.

Robert and Kristen said...

I'll raise my hand to this too! Robert is an Apple hater and will probably never get an Iphone or an Ipad. I think they are cool, but I am happy with my hand-me-down phone from your husband!