Sunday, June 15, 2008

I Married a Good Man

On this Father's Day, I pay tribute to all the fathers in my life. My earthly father, although he has been gone from us for going on 25 years now, continues to play a key role in how I live my life. My stepfather of now 20 years--wow, has it been that long? continues to have his witty sense-of-humor and can get anyone to laugh. To my father in law, who is a gentle giant of a man both physically and spiritually and sets a great example in all that he does.
But mostly to the man I married. Todd is a strength and a constant in my life and he brings me comfort as the world heads for that infamous handbasket. He's a great father and is supportive to all his kids, even when it requires him to play "Pretty, Pretty Princess" adorning all the jewelry that comes with it. (Notice the bracelet and earring). He is patient with me in all my hair-brain ideas. Surely he must tire of it. Last week I had him up late every night because I just HAD to have the house repainted before my friend's baby shower, which was here on Wednesday. AND just last night I had him cutting out Father's Day cards until 2:30 a.m. for my Primary sharing time today. He then continued to act surprised at the 2 cards he got from the girls, the very ones he helped assemble. What a trooper!
He recently went on a father and son's camping trip (seen here). I love to see the pride that all our kids have in their dad. They truly think he is Superman and have said on several occasions that "Dad can fix anything" or if I can't figure something out fast enough, they'll say "Ask Dad" or if I get lost driving somewhere (which happens all too much) it's always, "Call Daddy!" All the kids prefer Daddy and I guess that's ok. He's a pushover for them too.

So, Todd, thanks for putting up with me and thanks for being a great dad to our kids. On this Father's Day I wanted you to know that my heart is bigger because of you.

2 comments:

Natalie said...

KNowing some of the men in your life...you really have been blessed Mel! You married a great man....and you two are perfect together!

Breanne said...

Good to see you last night! Kristen told me that you blogged. I'm excited to keep in touch this way!