Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Nuggets from my Day

1. I witnessed a reunion of old friends, one being a cashier at a grocery store, the other a patron. I overheard one say it had been over 20 years. As jaws dropped and numbers were exchanged, I was glad to see the people in line waiting patiently. What lifted my heart even more was watching the woman walk out to her car, groceries in hand, wearing a smile from ear to ear, her mind surely racing through all the memories from years gone by. Good old fashioned connections without the help of Facebook. This sort of magic doesn't happen every day.

2. My little Colby loves bubble gum, but not just any bubble gum. He loves the kind you can get at a store with a "big penny". In fact, he is asking Santa for his very own bubble gum machine for Christmas. Before even going into the store today, he asked if I had a "big penny" so he could have some bubble gum. Luckily this particular store has a machine that, believe it or not, really only costs a penny. I had three. So I decided to be a generous Mommy and let him use all three to get three gumballs. He quickly ate one and we went about our shopping. Minutes later I notice he is still holding two gumballs, red and yellow melting all over his hands. I ask him why he isn't eating them and he said he was saving them for Daddy and Andrew. No matter how much I tried to convince him to just eat them (the Mom in me doesn't like the mess!) he insisted on saving them. There they sat, on our counter, color faded away, until big brother and Daddy got home. Today, from my 3-year old, I learned the true spirit of giving.

3. This morning, after the older kids had gone to school, I sat eating breakfast with Todd. Colby was near the Christmas tree and had picked up two ornaments that had fallen. He was quite concerned and couldn't figure out how to get them up on the tree again because the hooks (or "hookers" as he called them) were missing. He kept saying, "Daddy, you need to go find some more hookers! Go get some more hookers!" Todd and I quietly bust up laughing. Todd answered him with, "Okay, well, we will have to ask your Mom about that. " Naughty Toddy.

5 comments:

Missy said...

So cute! I love the hookers thing!

Melissa and Jason said...

What a cute boy! He is a perfect example of the spirit of sharing and giving! And luckily you don't have to worry about any "hookers":)

Robert and Kristen said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing.

Ashley Marie said...

hahahahahahaha that just made my night.

CAMERAHAPPY said...

I love those stories! So cute! Bryson used to call hooks, hooker things too, we would always laugh too. Then Bryn would call Ice Cream AdoubleS Cream. again little do they know why we would always chuckle! It was good to see you today. It doesn't matter if we were in Target or anywhere, I know the love that you have and I'm even though we don't get together often (or at all) I am thankful for thoughtful friends who care! That is why I cried, was because of how very sweet you are. You truely are an example of love and kindness, I love that about you! We really should go play one day or night! Much love em