Sunday, October 2, 2011

Do you want my autograph?


This week was crazy insane. I finished out my financial makeover year with Imagine and Happier You with two newspaper articles, three television appearances, countless interviews and an onstage appearance at the Smart Women, Smart Money conference. It was great to attend, but made for a very tiring day Wednesday. At the conference, the DMC committee presented me with a Lion House basket of goodies, a $50 scholarship starter kit for each one of my kids for Utah Education Savings Plan and, my personal favorite, a $1000 check. I feel blessed to have been part of this amazing journey and where it has led our family, but I'd be Melly Mendacity if I said I've loved the media attention. In fact, I'm glad it's over mostly for that reason. I haven't loved being in the public eye for the past year. Why couldn't my Dad have passed on his cool camera collectiveness to me?


It was so nice to have my mom-in-law, Jana, Nicole, Curtis, Todd and my girls at the conference for support. Geena Davis spoke and it was interesting to hear her Hollywood perspectives. Her platform? More female equality in media for young kids. Hmmm. She's an Olympian in archery and even had twins at 48! That's a far cry from Beetlejuice. It was also intriguing to note that although a beautiful model and actor, she has struggled with her own self-image. Crazy what the world does to us all, isn't it?


Many of you have asked for links to stories and such, so I thought I'd post them here for you.

Deseret News Article (been told there's another, but can't find it)

Morning Show on KSL

Nightly news report of conference

Curtis' take

Here's a few pics from Todd's view:

Amanda Dickson is one FUNNY lady!

Cristie Richards (my mentor over the past year) is letting me in on the $1000 news that sits in my hot, sweaty little hand. She says, "Don't spend it all in one place!" She should know better--it's going right to savings!

Us with all our goodies. They had Kendra bring up a beautiful bouquet of fall flowers. Can you tell she didn't want to be up there?

Geena Davis speaking on women representation equality. Surprisingly, she had a deep voice, but was quite witty and fun.

1 comments:

David and Jana said...

So glad I could come to the conference. You did wonderful. I am so proud of you!!