Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Panama day 5


I wish I could explain the beauty I am witnessing right now. I’m sitting under a terrace at the outdoor restaurant of our hotel watching and listening to the rain come down. The temperature is just about perfect and I just saw a colorful toucan fly overhead and land in a tree just over my shoulder. These are one of those moments I wish I could capture in a bottle and reopen when I need it or bring it home to all of you.

Today is Sunday and it is probably our first leisurely day of our entire trip. We woke up early and got to the English translation room of the stake center next to the beautiful templo de Panama’. It was so neat because we sat next to this couple from Taylorsville who were there to pick up their son from his mission who gets released tomorrow. They hadn’t seen him yet and the other elders who found out they were his parents went to find him. It was an awesome sight to witness the reunion of this missionary to his parents, not unlike us to our Parents someday. I also decided he should be Ashley’s future husband, so we’ll have to make that happen somehow! His name was Elder Chism—do you know him?

We were able to watch the cornerstone ceremony of the temple which was neat. President Monson and President Uchdorf were so funny through the entire thing. It started to rain near the beginning and it caused all sorts of humorous comments. President Uchdorf said as the rain came down, “It’s sunshine from heaven!” to which Pres. Monson said “Yes, and it’s getting us wet!” The Prophet even called up a few kids to help with the mortar, then hurried them along. He was worried about everyone in the rain (he was under a tent). Somehow I don’t think anyone really minded the rain while they were so close to the prophet. All the general authorities went back in and spoke for a bit. I want to record a few stories for my record so bear with me. President Monson told of a story where he was visited by a couple. He said they lived modestly, were frugal with their money, but their investments had done well. They were there to donate $3 million to the building of the temples, one million to 3 separate temples. He asked them if they wanted to choose the temples and they gave an abounding yes. One of those they chose was the Panama temple. These were people who truly understood their temple covenants. What a blessing that was for this temple. He also spoke of a time in the Freiberg temple in Germany how a young boy was going to do baptisms. Something had happened to the heating element, so the water was frigid and as he stepped in he started to shiver, as did the officiator. After about 3 or 4 baptisms, the boy commented how he wasn’t as cold anymore. That day those two latter-day saints baptized, by proxy, 74 people! What dedication and faith. I need to be more like that. I also loved what Pres. Uchdorf said, “With each temple that opens, it lessens Satan’s power on the earth.” I love that! It makes me wonder, though, with all the temples that have opened, why Satan seems to have such a hold still on so many people. He truly is powerful, but he can be overcome with even greater power from on High. President Monson then gave the dedicatory prayer in English and then it was repeated in Spanish. There were some amazing things said and this temple will bless so many members’ lives here in Panama. I’m sure it will be an amazing missionary tool for all who live here. After it was over, we took pictures and headed to the hotel.

From here we decided to get some lunch. We all hate buying on Sunday but we needed to eat, so we went to Napoli, one of my mom’s favorite restaurants. It seemed like an upper-scale place and we got there just before the lunch rush hit because it got packed. I understood their enthusiasm after we tasted their yummy pizza! They were out of clams, but I hear they prepare them the best. We also had yummy ceviche again. I sure wish I could find this in the States. It is fish soaked in lime and vinegar with onions—the acid in these combined actually “cooks” it in a way. You eat them on crackers. It really is tasty! It poured rain the entire rest of the day from here on out and it is still raining! We are witnessing the rainy season of Panama.
From here, my mom took us around to her old neighborhood and told us of stories from her childhood. We saw her old house and got a picture of her in front. She is so happy here; she is like a kid again. I’m so glad we got to experience this as a family—I’m not sure anything like this will ever happen again. It is fun to have this experience together as a family and to see mom so happy. I’m starting to understand why she loves this place so much. This is her home and it is a beautiful place.

The amazing part about today is that we were able to take a nap for a few hours!!! I never get naps!!!! It felt great! I do miss my kids though. It’s so great to talk to them on the phone and know they are happy and well-taken care of.

My aunt and uncle had prepared a meal for everyone tonight so we just got back from their place. My mom’s brother and his family were also there so it was a mini family reunion with all my cousins. Uncle Pete prepared and ordered a bunch of authentic Panamanian food . I’m not tired of course so we might sit out on the terrace and play card games tonight. Though it is rainy season, we just hope the rain gets out of its system what it needs to tonight so we can do what we have planned tomorrow. You’ll have to read tomorrow’s post to find out what that is! (dun, dun, dun—suspense builds for you I am sure!).

1 comments:

Kim said...

You have no idea how excited I am that you have a blog!!! How exciting for you to go with your family to Panama. After the funeral is all done I will be going back to your web page to read what you've been up to. Talk to you soon!