Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Panama day 7



Wow, yet another full day in Panama’! It was a great one though.

This morning we left at 6 a.m. to try and get to a 7 a.m. session at the new temple. We wanted to be there early to make sure we would get in. Oh, there’s too much to say. Simply put, they have a lot of work that needs to be done at this temple! Patrons are so new at going to the temple and having one here will be so good for them. It’s hard to put into words the feeling I felt here. It was as if I were experiencing the temple for the first time, through the eyes of a Panamanian, not ever having lived near one at all. We went to a Spanish session, with English headsets. I was able to understand much of what was going on –those college Spanish classes sure came in handy! It was amazing to be there with my family and to be one of the first to attend this beautiful, dedicated House of the Lord.

After the session, we rushed off to get the pedicures and manicures that Mom had set up for us last May! It was fun to be pampered for a bit. The best part was that manicure was only $5 and the pedicure was $10! We were there for a good hour or so and it was money well-spent (by Mom of course—thanks Mom!). I tried, unsuccessfully, to explain in my broken Spanish to the lady working on my feet why my legs were so slashed up. Como se dice “sawgrass” en espanol?

After running back to the Albrook Inn, we grabbed our stuff and headed out for another beach day, stopping along the way for some yummy bread and cheese and empanadas, recommended by Aunt Debby and Mom. It was so yummy we had to stop again on the way back. We went to the best beach, called Palmar Beach. Thanks for recommending this Zoliks--and for being there with us! We paid $20 per car and had a bohio all to ourselves, complete with hammocks. Some rented surfboards, while Todd and I stuck with boogie-boards. We had SO MUCH FUN!!! The waves were huge and the water was amazingly warm. The sand was black, interestingly enough. We also learned that sweet little Malia likes to eat sand. I’d have to say between Panama and Hawaii, the surfing is better in Panama (at least this time around!). Again, I felt like time reversed and I was 8 years old again as I (and my siblings) buried my big brother in sand. It was a riot.

We made our way back and met up with the rest of the clan for dinner at Mom’s choice (since it was our last night), Mi Ranchito. We presented her with the necklace and earrings that we had bought for her and she loved them! The look on her face was priceless and it was nice to actually be the giver, rather than the receiver for a change.

The next day was spent scurrying around getting some last minute shopping in and packing up and getting to the airport. What an amazing time we had!

Thanks Mom for a wonderful trip and for giving so much to us, your children, on this trip. I loved spending it with you and it makes sense why you love this country so much. It’s paradise. I love you, I love you, I love you!

1 comments:

Ashcraft Family said...

Wow! What an awesome opportunity you had. Sounded amazing Melody! That sure is a long way to go for a pedicure, but all worth it. Huh?