Monday, December 8, 2008

Santaphobia



We had our ward party on Friday and Santa came to spread the Christmas cheer. There was a room set up, dimmed and decorated, for all the kids to go sit on his lap, tell him what they wanted for Christmas and receive a candy cane. I can understand maybe all the babies and toddlers that would have nothing to do with him. But my Alli, now 6,was TERRIFIED of him and always has been. She vehemently refused to go into the same room as him and easily surrendered her chance at a candy cane if it meant she had to meet the guy. My question today: Is this normal? I keep thinking she'll grow out of this, yet she doesn't seem to be anywhere near. As I think about it, there is nothing entirely normal about sending my children into a dark room to sit on some old, hairy guy's lap, who is offering her candy either, is there?

3 comments:

Dainon. said...

Not that one, anyway. I'll be a hairy old guy one day, though ... or maybe I already am? Hmm.

Deb said...

You gave me the laugh for the day. I guess there is nothing normal about the whole "sit on an old, hairy strangers lap and accept candy". Any other time of year, and not only would that be a big problem, but we would be having 4 months of home evening lessons about why we don't accept candy from strangers, and certainly why we don't go sitting on random laps. Funny!

DJ said...

umm I would be freaked out to see THAT Santa too to tell you the truth..for one his pants freak me out a little bit...not to make it seem demeaning or anything but they are too high for comfort.. but that is just me...maybe I'm the odd one out..hope the kids feel differently in years to come..Santa pictures are great