Thursday, June 11, 2009

Am I a bad mom?

Although someone out there may challenge me on this, I believe I have THE MOST head-strong, stubborn, strong-willed child that ever walked the face of this earth. We are talking about my second--of course I'm talking about a girl! Don't get me wrong, I love her heaps and I'm hoping this rock-iron will sticks around clear through any amount of peer pressure, school bullies and teenage boys, BUT can't it just give a little when we are trying to lose teeth?

Alli loves getting loose teeth but loathes losing them. In fact, this is the same girl who, being the dear sweet child that she is, decided to pull her very first tooth by herself--did NOT want help from Mom or Dad. Well, I think it was the spot of blood that oozed from that one tooth that freaked her out.

Earlier this year, her other bottom tooth clung to nothing but a trace of a strand of a tiny piece of gum. Would she pull it out? Would she let us near it? She would rather be flung into a burning building than to let us even so much as an arm-length away.

Months ago she was pleased to report that her two front teeth were officially loose. We congratulated her and encouraged her to keep wiggling them, knowing full-well what lay ahead for all of us. The teeth became loose-enough to pull, and several times we asked her to pull them or if she wanted help pulling them. Once again she invited the lion within her to take over her dominantly sweet demeanor. We are talking neighbors-call-the-cops-on-us-type screams, clenched-jaw, both hands tightly over her mouth and wiggling away from anyone who so much as glanced at her mouth any time throughout the day. She knew what we were up to.

Pretty soon I noticed the top teeth coming down over the bottom teeth. Okay, now I had a shark for a daughter. Still, it didn't bother her. They started to push the smaller teeth out of the way. She wouldn't budge. Even when the baby teeth started to gray and die, she refused to wiggle or even attempt to pull them. In came the threats. I know, every parenting book I've ever read says never to threaten. So I don't deserve the Mother of the Year award. Though I hate to admit it, threats are sometimes the only things that work on my kids. I told her if she didn't pull them or let us pull them, we'd have to take her to the dentist and have him do it.

Sure enough, our 6-month checkup came due and we went into it with the same threat. After her checkup and her free-of-cavities report, the dentist came out to tell me that "those front teeth are way overdue" and they need to come out. I let her hear his words and told her I'd give her the 2 weeks until brother and sister had to come in for fillings to pull her teeth out. I don't think she thought I was serious.

Back to the parenting books. They also say to follow through on what you say.

Two weeks flew by and the drive to the dentist office was an ominous, tear-filled one. Guilt started in when she complained of tummy aches. She was that affected by what was about to happen. Brother and sister were done in a flash and after talking to the dentist and deciding that it really did need to happen, I pulled her toward the chair of doom, through pleading, crying and every amount of deal-making you could imagine. No amount of laughing gas seemed to calm her. The dentist was a genius--she cooperated much better for him than me! All it took was some numbing gel and two small pops and they were out. No shots! This was the result:


So, back to my question--am I a bad mom for making her go through this? Should I feel guilty that throughout her life and into eternity she will have to tell people that she lost her two front teeth by a dentist? Funny thing is, she was elated afterward-she loves having them out! The best part for me is the lithpt that was created in the process. I'm just wondering if we are making it worse for the NEXT go-around. I am sure about one thing. I don't want to wrestle our lion on the next loose tooth. Any takers?

5 comments:

Natalie said...

yeah..baby orajell is our best friend when it is time to pull teeth..put a little on their gums and within minutes..numbed up and pull!! No, You are not a bad parent...I have had my fair share of stubborn kids when it comes to teeth pulling....it bites!! The thing that has helped Jake is the Orajell..he is all over rubbing that on his gums..I have him do it. GOod luck..hope that all of the teeth do not end up this way!!!

Audrey said...

She has the most gorgeous eyes, they look just like yours.
My daughter, Ryanna, just had to have her front, bottom teeth pulled because the other teeth, grown up teeth, had already come in behind them without me noticing them. The front teeth weren't even loose though. The dentist pulled them and we were all done. In fact, he had to pull her first tooth as well, but that's another story. So, she's never pulled a tooth herself and it's a lot more expensive to have the dentist pull them I'll tell you that.
You are not a bad mom. I think any mom that takes the time to question whether she's a good mom or not is already a better mom than a lot of other moms out there. I threaten my kids, not everday, but it happens and I think any mom that doesn't either has a nanny or no backbone or some other equally bad problem.
I'm sure you didn't scar her. In fact, she'll probably be calling the dentist herself next time she has a loose tooth. I hope you have great dental insurance!

David and Jana said...

Mel, you are a terrific mom!! That Alli girl kills me. I hope the next go around is a lot easier for all of you...

CMTASK said...

Oh, my goodness, that was hilarious! What makes it even more funny is that I can totally see it all playing out. Sid is the same way tho. However, I can't figure out why she has only lost two teeth so far. You are definitely not a bad mom, I love that story, and you know that Alli will tell that story in years to come. It is making memories right?

Melinda said...

Uh, I just wonder if the tooth fariy visited her. If she did, was it a cash visit, or a coal visit?