Thursday, June 25, 2009

Crummy Day

Okay, I'll admit it, today is a sad day. Though it may not be the popular thing to say, I am indeed a Michael Jackson fan. I always have been. I loved him when I was little so much in fact, that at age 10 I vowed when I grew up that I'd go to Hollywood, win him over and marry him, having many baby Jacksons along the way and live happily ever after. That was, of course, when he looked more manlike, less um, Pinocchioish and didn't dangle babies out windows. I digress. It must have been the 1983 Easter when my siblings and I all got our own individual poster of him. Mine was of him in a yellow cardigan and bow-tie. Ah, those were the days. I think his childhood was crappy, the media has been harsh, and he lost a few nuts and bolts in the noggin along the way, but at least he's no longer here to be judged. Leave that to the Big Man. Any which way you bend it, the man was an icon. He sold more albums than even Elvis, his dancing was unmatched and his songs spanned through several decades and genres. Um, I thought I could maybe pick my favorite MJ song. Nope. Got too many good ones. Okay, so though very cheezy here's one of my favorite videos of his:



On my way home from my sister's house today I stopped to get a new battery because my car is wiggin like crazy. Thought the battery would cure all ails. No such luck. Only seconds after getting back on the road, feeling broke yet satisfied that I can check "get new battery" off my list of things to do, I literally found myself in the middle of this:


Here's how it happened:
As so often happens in rush-hour traffic I was stopped behind a line of cars. The lady two cars behind me decided not to. Her hard-bodied Lincoln (borrowed, mind you) slammed into the newly-purchased Impreza with such force that it rammed into me, so hard in fact that I hit the Honda in front of me. Immediately I heard the three kids behind me start screaming. I happened to be on the phone with my sis, Nicole, at the time (not against the law) and all she heard was crashing cars, me yelling and the kids screaming. The phone flew out of my hand under the contents of the glove compartment which had also flew open. Lucky for her, she heard the entire episode. Though shaking I pulled over and tried to reassure my children, found the phone and called Todd. Someone else had already called 911. As you can see, the cars behind me sustained the most damage, totaled I'm sure. As police and paramedics arrived I noticed who the driver was who caused the entire catastrophe. She was older and was walking around confused, holding the place where her hand should be. Don't know if she was born that way or lost it years ago, but she only had one hand. Sounds like she didn't have a ride somewhere and so she borrowed a car without permission. I got a phone call from her a few hours ago--not sure how she got my information, but I'm not sure she understood even what occurred today. She didn't know there was more than just another vehicle involved. I explained that there were 4 cars involved! Aside from the whiplash and back pains tonight I think we all came out pretty darn lucky. The kids were shaken, yes, but we are all okay thankfully. I even used it as a teaching opportunity for them to always remember to wear their seat belts. Truly it could have been much worse. Yes, my car will have to be assessed, bumper replaced, but it made me realize how unimportant cars and stuff really are to me. I mostly wanted to hold my children and soothe their tears. Nicole rushed to our aid at lightning speed and Todd wasn't too far behind--it really proved to me the love of family. Though I have a headache and feel emotionally exhausted from the day, I can smile as I lie down tonight knowing all is well.

7 comments:

David and Jana said...

Oh Mel, I hope you guys are okay. I am so sorry to hear you were in an accident. Not fun! Please let me know if you need anything. Too funny about Michael Jackson, I had no idea you wanted to have his babies. Hilarious! He was definitely amazing and changed the music world forever!!

Dawn Harvey said...

Mel I'm so sorry!! Sorry for Michael, but more sorry for your car. What a mess. That's so hard. I love you! This day will live in your mind forever...

CMTASK said...

Oh my goodness! What a really really crappy day. That bites, but I guess at least it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Glad everyone is okay. If you need a lift anywhere while your car is being fixed, let me know.

Jaymesmom said...

Glad you are all ok!!

Ashcraft Family said...

What a scary experience. I hope there are no long term effects. I relate to the love of MJ. I had a major crush on him when I was young too!

Melinda said...

Just glad you are all okay! I will admit to having a MJ poster when I was a kid and I used to sing Melinda Jean instead of Billie Jean. : )

tracie said...

so glad you were okay.