Sunday, January 24, 2010

Monchhichi, Monchhichi

As I stated in my previous post, I recently celebrated a birthday. Last Sunday, we had our monthly birthday celebration at my parents' house. Dinner was eaten, cake was distributed and the time came to open gifts. My nephew, Isaac, went first, as he shares the month with me. Then came my turn. As my older sis, Nicole, handed me her gift, my brother-in-law moved quickly, prepping his Nikon, giggling all the way. He kept saying, "We have the BEST gift for you!" As if the Michael Jackson vinyl bag wasn't enough, there were 3 other wrapped gifts inside. I started with the locket that my sister made (vintage and beautiful!)--still no camera shots, only giggling. Then came the Amara spa gift card. I would have been fine and good with any ONE of these gifts and gushed over each one, in turn. Still, eyes on me. I proclaimed my thanks all the way and still brother-in-law says, "That's not even the best one." Alas, I came to the last one, and this was my reaction:



And why? Because this is what I got!



Does anyone else out there remember Monchhichis? Not only did I have one growing up, carrying it most places I went, but somehow along the road I picked up the nickname. I was a thumb-sucker, so that may have been why, but it stuck even in grade-school. There was a teacher in our rural Missouri elementary that one day received a very surprising and loud epiphany. As I walked toward her in the school hallway, she gasped and said, "I've just realized what you remind me of! You're my little Monchhichi!" From then on she, and a few others, could be found calling me Melody Monchhichi. I guess back in the day there may have been an unfortunate resemblance. What do you think?



Thanks guys for bringing back some painful, I mean, GREAT childhood memories!

10 comments:

David and Jana said...

Hilarious!

Unknown said...

I loved the side by side picture! Love it! Curtis and I had a real good laugh.....again! Love ya sis, hope you had a good birthday!

Robert and Kristen said...

Ohhhh, I love that hair! It is priceless!

Missy said...

That is really funny! I do see the resemblance too. Where did all the curly hair go?

Jaymesmom said...

That has to be a perm, right? Too Funny!!

Helen Macfarlane said...

That's so funny Melody!! The side by side is . . . are there words?

Adam and Jana said...

That is awesome that they found one! And yes I have to agree with everyone else I love the side by side photos!

Curtis J. Morley said...

Mel,

That was one of our favorite gifts ever given. Now that I have seen the pictures it is even better. You are awesome!!!

P.S. Austin = Nicole

aisy said...

ha! That's awesome.

Kim M. said...

I popped over from Helen's blog and this is the first post I see. It's hilarious! You've risked a lot letting that little story out. Let's see a photo of the vintage locket.