Tuesday, March 23, 2010

What has kept us busy. . .

So for the past month or so (a)because we are slow and b)because I don't move to fast these days--hhmm, guess that means I'm slow) our Saturdays have been filled doing Project Master Bedroom. We have lived in this home nearly 3 years and haven't touched the white walls in our bedroom. I'm happy for the way it turned out and as a friend who saw it today said I finally have a "grown up room."

I knew I wanted to make a light, airy feel; a sanctuary for me and Todd, and wanted it done especially before baby comes. I wanted white (but not on the walls, so much). There is just something so clean and crisp about white. I read something recently, from a decorator, that described my color choice perfectly: "White can also kind of work as a mediator. Just like bringing in a marriage counselor, white will work as a mediator between soft and loud colors. You can use it to work as a bridge between two colors."

I don't have a very good "before" shot because I thought about it too late. Here is a photo of our plain walls and headboard after we had taken off our mattress to move the bed.


Here is the "after".


We still have to fill in the cracks and nail holes on the crown molding, so there are a few finishing touches I'd like to do. I'm thinking about recovering some pillows to add more texture--what do you think? Since I try to be as frugal as possible, I had to create a few things. My curtains are actually made from one flat king-size sheet from Ross--much more affordable. The lampshades I covered myself. Not only did I save money, but I was able to pick the fabric I wanted. It was so easy following a tutorial I found online.

Lampshade before


Lamps after


I also added a much-needed privacy curtain to our bathroom. Our kids have no concept of privacy and would barge into our room without a knock. AND with a clear shower like we have, it all became quite the peep show for them! [Help: I'm trying to decide what color to paint my bathroom walls. I think if I added the blue, it would be too much blue, but I don't want to keep it white. Right now one wall is a gold color, but I think it needs to be changed. I welcome any suggestions!]


I once heard that every master bedroom should have a love photo above their bed, so I incorporated this Panama shot of us that I had framed for Todd for Valentines. The only problem is, on such a big wall, over such a big bed, it looks rather small. I might have to enlarge it, don't you think?


I can't finish this post without a HUGE wet kiss and thanks to my sweet husband. He had been a lot of the labor behind all of this and has never done crown molding or a chair rail before, so it was a learning experience. I know at times fitting some of the pieces together was frustrating for him, but I enjoyed working along side him for this project and especially the final product. He just "obeyed my command" and didn't really complain at all. Thanks hon, you da man!



Now it's on to this weekend's project: putting in a fence and starting on the baby's room!

14 comments:

Ashley Marie said...

I love it, I love it, I love it!!! These are the exact colors I want my house to be someday!! It looks so good you two!! I am very proud, who needs extreme homemakeover when you have the hillam's as part of your family!? Good work, I can't wait to see it in person. Oh, and for your bathroom I say neon green or if that doesn't suit you I say a nice soft pale yellow:)

slopfam said...

What a great room...very classy! It would make me want to go in there, lock the door, and hang out all day. So, someday when we actually own a home can I hire you to decorate it?

Kilee said...

It looks beautiful! great job!! i love it!

David and Jana said...

LOVE IT! Looks so very good. Way to go Todd and Mel.

Robert and Kristen said...

Now that you are done with yours, you can come and do ours! I am so not a decorator and you have done a great job without spending a lot of money!

tracie said...

Looks great. I want a grown up room like that. Good job.

Adam and Jana said...

I can't wait to see it in person! I love it! If you want a more nuetral color in the bathroom I love the color Desert Fawn.

Morley Muse said...

It looks so good! I knew it would, you are great with that kind of thing. I like the picture, but someday enlarge it! Then you can see you guys kissing better! I really liked the decor around it.

Helen Macfarlane said...

Very nice Melody!! I love the privacy curtain-we need one of those! I don't think the picture should be bigger. I was thinking if anything, the bedside lamps could be taller. But really, you don't need to change a thing. Unless of course, it bugs you!!

aisy said...

Looks great!

Missy said...

WOW! Gorgeous! Do you want to come and design my bedroom? I could totally copy you!

Amberlynn said...

WOW! So beautiful. YOu have been BUSY!!! I read that too...about there should be a love photo over your bed. I think I read it on a photographer blog. I will definitely have to do that. Your photo is beautiful. And I agree, you'll definitely have to make it bigger! Love it, love it!!!

Wrightfamily said...

Your master bedroom looks beautiful. Good job!

Kim M. said...

This is beautiful! I love the colors--so calming. Great job! I'll bet Todd loves it too.