Monday, March 29, 2010

A new find

I'm so excited about my new find that I just have to tell you all about it! My family eats a lot of produce during the week and though I have never been part of a food co-op before, I have looked into several of them. I know that you have to put in so many volunteer hours in order to get your box of food. Well, no more! I found Green Bee Produce through a KSL listing and decided to look into it. The Bee Box Classic is only $18.50. I emailed the company and asked about contracts to sign or requirement to order every week and got a speedy response that there is none of that involved.
The produce comes out of Arizona every week on a truck and has several different drop-offs around the valley. Check the website for locations and order deadlines (mine is today by midnight). They can't always promise organic produce, but they try to get it whenever they can. Basically the concept is to cut out the grocer, making the produce much fresher than found in the stores.
Next I called the local pickup location (yes, in my own little city!) and talked to the lady who has done it, wanting to know how legit it was. She talked to me for about 20 minutes and needless to say, I was convinced and decided to give it a go this last week. I ordered last Monday and picked up my HUGE box of produce on Saturday. Here is what I got for $18.50:


10 apples (red delicious and cameo)
i huge head of romaine lettuce (delish!)
4 Roma tomatoes
1 lb of carrots
5 pears
1 large bag of green, seedless grapes
1 bunch bananas
1 pineapple
5 lbs. of oranges
2 red onions
5 potatoes
1 head of cauliflower

I was blown away! So far the things I've tasted from the box are of great quality and they seem to guarantee their quality so if you are not satisfied, they will either refund or replace or both! Selfishly, I'm trying to get the word out so they don't cancel the location so close to me! It's a fairly new program here in UT so give it a try!

4 comments:

The Headrick Family said...

That sounds like bountiful baskets here in AZ. I have never done it but I know a lot of people love it!

tracie said...

I want to talk to you about this. We eat a lot of produce.

Maggie said...

I would love to get more info from you. We too eat alot of produce!

Kim M. said...

So do you order exactly what you want or does the co-op just give you what's available that week? New to this, but want to find out more. My niece in Arizona does the Bountiful Baskets in Arizona already mentioned and loves it!