Saturday, June 19, 2010

Daddy's Arms


One by one
Swift feet come
hearts pounding
Eyes thrown wide
"I've had a bad dream"
Safe to Daddy's arms.

Slip and fall
Bloodied
and bruised
Tears flooding, then flowing
He runs
Safe to Daddy's arms.

When someone offends
Wounds her tender heart
Or perhaps he errs
By choice.
I hope they all come quickly
Safe to Daddy's arms.

Strong and broad
They are encircled about
Secure, devoted, forgiving
Tender, ever full of Love
But mostly
Safe are Daddy's arms.

Nearing three decades
Without my own
His that used to hold me.
At final sleep
I will glad run
Safe to my Daddy's arms.



5 comments:

David and Jana said...

Mel, did you write that? I love it. So very true.

Helen Macfarlane said...

Beautiful poem Mel. Wow. Which one are you in the photo?

Mel said...

Helen, I'm the smiley one in the front. And thank you.

Denise said...

Mel, this is beautiful. Stunningly beautiful.

Morley Muse said...

Mel, that is so beautiful and meaningful. Thank you for sharing your talent with us. I love you!