Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Beauty



Last weekend I watched a chick flick. There was a scene that I keep replaying in my mind. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with the truth that it holds.
A young couple was observing an elderly couple, walking, helping one another. The young woman says (and I'm paraphrasing because I can't quite remember the exact dialogue), "Now there's love. I'll bet that couple has been together for at least 50 years." to which the young man says, "See that's the problem with our day; everyone is too concerned with making themselves younger, better-looking, etc. The beauty in a relationship is being ABLE to grow old with someone and still love that person unconditionally."
Growing old with someone. There is beauty to growing old. Having someone right along side you for the journey creates balance in a way. Todd and I are coming up on our 10 year anniversary. We both have a few more wrinkles and gray hairs than we did 10 years ago, but I wouldn't take any one of them away. Each represents an experience we shared; a joy, a fear, a heartache, a worry, a smile. It has shaped our relationship. What's so exciting is how many more there are to come. How is it our world has been blinded by counterfeit beauty?
I watch Todd's Grandpa now in his last days on this earth. He and his sweet wife have loved each other for over 60 years. You'll still find them caressing one another, kissing, holding hands. When I think of them, it's hard to imagine one without the other. They are one. Their love is real, unconditional and eternally rooted and bound. There is beauty to that.
Out with the fountain of youth obsession. My vote is to see more of the real stuff.

3 comments:

Melissa and Jason said...

Yes, their love is the real thing. It truly is beautiful. I love what you wrote...thanks.

Breanne said...

What a beautiful post. It's great to know that true love lasts forever!
btw: That movie sounds familiar, what is the name of it????

Mel said...

Breanne, the movie is P.S. I Love You. I'm sure you've seen it. I hadn't seen it yet. Aside from the language it was a cute flick.