Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happiest Place on Earth --- Day 1


Several months ago I tapped into the thin line of yellow in my personality and made an impulse decision to buy airfare tickets to Orlando when they came up at $99 round-trip. What's worse is I convinced our friends, the Caziers, to do the same so we could have friends to go with! We just returned from our 9-day vacation to Orlando, where, yes, we stuffed every minute of Disney into our 7 non-traveling days. I'm so glad our hasty decisions paid off because we had a great time and memories were created that will last into the eternities.


Monday (Day 1) was spent, of course, at the Magic Kingdom. Age boundaries were erased and Todd and I became equals with our children, giggling, running to rides, eating treats, being star-struck at every character we saw walking down the streets of the Kingdom. It was indeed magical and once again I was reminded--Disney just knows how to do things right!



Although it POURED on us the entire day (I'm serious when I say NO break!), we didn't let that stop us. We put on our ponchos, pulled out the umbrellas and had a VERY easy time getting on rides. We never had to wait in line for a ride and there was no need for the fast passes this day!


Since we were there the day after the Super Bowl, there were Steeler fans all over and there was even a parade held in their honor, with MVP Santonio Holmes riding with Mickey. Ok, seriously, what was wrong with the costume designer? Do Mickey's pants NEED to go to his armpits?



We had a great plan of eating breakfast at our rental house, bringing lunch and snacks with us and getting dinner in the parks. I was even able to keep under my budget of $50 per day for the 6 of us! Yahoo! This night we ate at the Plaza Restaurant on Main Street and Andrew loved his dessert!

8 comments:

CAMERAHAPPY said...

Way to go! That looks like a lot of fun! You guys have always taken such fun trips! I'm ready to go somewhere warm and get a little tan...this pasty white just isn't doing it anymore!! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it! You deserve it!

Morley Muse said...

So great! I want to see more though. I am hoping you will go through everyday, right?

The Headrick Family said...

So fun didn't know you guys were going....looking forward to hearing about the rest of your trip!

Adam and Jana said...

You are so funny- I am glad you "convinced" us to go! We had a great time and loved spending time and wonderful memories with the Hillam Family!

Adam and Jana said...

You are funny! We are so glad that you "convinced" (I think all you really had to do was ask :))us to go! We had a FAnTASTIC time with you guys and loved creating such wonderful memories with the Hillam Family!

Robert and Kristen said...

Looks like you had so much fun! We really need to go to Disney World! We want to see more pictures of your trip so I hope you put more pictures on. And that is so great that you didn't have to wait in any lines that first day. What better way to enjoy Disney!

Breanne said...

That looks so fun!! I have always wanted to go to WDW, but have only been to DLR. Disney is fun no matter where you are!

Melinda said...

Okay, really...the happiest place on earth may really be Hershey Pennsylvania. It smells like chocolate and the street lights are shaped like kisses. This may need to be your next trip. ; )