Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Nightly News, Radio Show and The Tooth Fairy

Because some of you have asked about it, I thought I'd post the latest news report on my budgeting program. Here you go:

There was also a radio show done with Cristie telling my story and giving advice. She tells what we have been working on thus far. If you have time and wish to listen, here you go. Oh, the "Curtis" caller at the end is my brother-in-law. What a goober.

Here is this week's blog entry. If you wish to follow along each week, just click on the icon on my sidebar or go to Imagine a Happier You. Thanks to all those who have been so supportive through all this! It has been a ride that is for sure!

The Tooth Fairy Dilemma

I’ve got a dilemma. This dilemma adorns wings, a wand and a sack full of teeth. She most definitely carries around something else. Money. With three children now losing teeth, what used to be a fun, irregular occurrence is now turning into a thorn in my side, and my wallet.

When the dentist happened to mention in September that my oldest would be losing seven or eight teeth very soon, I brushed it off thinking, oh, they will fall out one-by-one over the next year or so. Surely he jests.

It all began last month, the weekend of our anniversary getaway. My mother-in-law arrived to watch the kids and just as Todd and I were rushing out the door, my 10-year old exclaimed, “Guess what!? I pulled my tooth at school today!” I answered her, but my widened eyeballs shot to Mom, “Oh, you did? Wow. . . . that’s great! I sure hope the tooth fairy comes tonight. . . .” That’s when Mom’s eyeballs widened. She bit her lip, as I came to learn later out of concern that she would forget to wear her wings that night. After all, it had been many years since she had been faced with this situation. I sneaked her a dollar bill and ran out the door.

The next day I heard the entire story, from both sides. Mom didn’t forget. Whew. There was a letter exchange involved. What?! Now I have to write letters? And, perhaps the most disappointing, Mom informed me that she added another dollar bill to the reward. Two dollars for a tooth? Perhaps I am turning into an old fuddy-duddy. Perhaps I have been blinded from the reality of inflation, but I remember when I was pleased as punch to find a nickel under my pillow. How was I going to live up to $2 with subsequent teeth? Mom had now doubled the expectation from our norm .50-$1 range. Thanks Mom!

Since then, my 10-year-old has lost two more teeth and informed me this morning that she will be pulling another one tonight. Oh ,and by the way, she has another three loose and let’s not forget younger brother and sister who wiggle their loose teeth daily in hopes of finding their $2 under their pillow. My kids feel life is totally unfair when so-an-so at school tells them they got a $5 bill for a tooth! Really? Sheesh.

Do I really need to make a special budget category for lost teeth? If so, how much should be budgeted? The Tooth Fairy has already disappointed my daughter when each subsequent lost tooth only generated $1 each. Todd simply explained that each tooth has a different value to them. Am I being too stingy? I am almost starting to believe that this little Fairy is the one who has been hacking in and taking all our money!

It’s not just Tooth Fairy money I lack a budget for. It is the other little occurrences like money for the occasional school lunch, classroom donations, a gift for the birthday party your child just got invited to, etc. To those who have young kids — Help! What is the going rate for teeth these days? And what do you suggest for these once-in-a-great-while happenings when it comes to my budget?

Dear Tooth Fairy: Will you please reward me with a wad of cash under my pillow if I leave you a handful of hair? Because, when it comes to budgeting for the little stuff, that is all that I seem to be losing these days!

2 comments:

slopfam said...

No one is old enough at my house yet to be losing teeth, but man I think $2 should be the high end. I'm all about 50 cents to a dollar. Let's not break the bank for our children's lost teeth!

p.s. I have been following you on "Imagine a Happier You". It's been fun to learn some more good budgeting ideas.

Shawn said...

Mel, you are a crack up! Your post made me bust a gut. I agree that teeth should not be worth more than $1. Maybe you can tell your kids to hold on to their lost teeth and put them all under their pillow at once. Then $3 looks like more in the morning. :)

I have a "kid" budget that includes all the things that you talked about. If I have money left over at the end of the month, I just roll it over to the next month. There are always unexpected parties of some sort isn't there?! Good luck! The whole money thing just never ends!!