Sunday, October 5, 2008

Daddy



Today marks 25 years of my father's death due to a plane accident. Dad, here's a few memories for you today, one for every year you've been gone:

I remember dancing on your feet.
I remember the smell of Old Spice.
Stubble on your face.
BIG hugs.
Silly faces--all the time.
Your amazing magic trick of pressing a penny through the table! Still don't know how you did it!
Your ability to scare all us kids half out of our skin.
I remember your straight, white teeth.
Your stiff hair after a day at work, in front of the camera.
Your perfect enunciation.
Your big smooth hands.
Safe, strong arms.
Your daily, and then some, kisses for Mom.
Your utter appreciation for the outdoors.
Camping and having our own outdoor sacrament meeting.
I remember your beautiful singing voice--you loved to sing.
I remember the same lullaby that never got old.
Your love and respect for your mom. . .and your dad.
Your crooked smile.
Man, were you a tease!
You had lots of made up, silly words.
I remember worrying about you as you lay on the couch for days after our bees attacked your foot.
You never got mad, upset or angry.
I remember you holding my pudgy hand.
I remember you loved us more than life.

I love you Daddy. I miss you every day.

6 comments:

Natalie said...

MEl..that was so sweet. I am sure that he misses you to... and is so proud of you! What type of fondue did you have the other night? I love fon due! Hey, are you going to Kaitlyn Paynes wedding reception this Friday? NAte and I will be coming down...I was hoping that you will be going! Let me know! Love ya! Nat

Robert and Kristen said...

I didn't know it was the 5th of October! I can't imagine not having my Dad around, I'm sure it is still hard even after 25 years!

Amberlynn said...

Melody, you made me cry! What a sweet tribute! I love that picture of your family. Love you!

Shawn said...

What a beautiful tribute to your dad. You look so much like him!

Morley Muse said...

Thank you for reviving the life we miss most. I miss his safe hugs more than anything. I can't wait for that some day.

Kim said...

25 years. Its been 2 months since my mom died and I know that in a blink of an eye it'll be 25 for me. I'm so thankful for the years I did have with her. I can't imagine the pain of losing a parent at such a young age. She made all the difference in the world and her memory and example will carry me through. I remember when you told me about the accident and what happened I was heart broken for you. Still, we carry on don't we. You are an amazing woman and made a big difference in my life as well. You were such a wonderful friend to me, so accepting. Thank you for that.