Sunday, November 2, 2008

Happy Halloween!



We had a great one, how about you? Can I brag about my $7 "Renaissance Wench" DI find, tags still intact? I thought it was pretty darn cute right up until the phone call with my sister-in-law Ashley, who yelled out to all her college friends, "Hey, my sister-in-law's a wench! And she's got 4 kids!" Still, made for a good laugh. My kids all looked adorable and I did convince Todd to dress up as a 50's football jock. Only problem is his wirey, curly hair will not slick back! Go figure.

Halloween brought too much candy as usual, but this year we decided to do something a little bit different. I got the suggestion from something I read and from my friend Dawn. Many of you know I'm a health freak and I've only gotten worse over the last year. (Bless Todd for his patience, support and understanding!) We've been trying to cut certain things out of our diet, namely artificial dyes, hydrogenated oils, preservatives like BHT and TBHQ. Challenge: just go to your cupboard right now and try to find something that doesn't have any of these--it's hard! Anyway candy has most or all of these, not to mention the sugar (did I mention Alli's 8 cavities last dental visit?), so we made up $5 coupons for the kids in exchange for a toy of their choice. We did let them keep about a dozen of their favorite pieces and put them in little ziplocs with their names on them. Just so you don't think I'm some sort of ogre, I DID give my kids the choice and they hands-down chose the toy, which elated me of course. Leftover candy filled an entire grocery bag! Bad thing is it is still here and chocolate is my downfall for sure and Todd was born with pure sugar running through his veins, so we need to rid our house of it quick! I think my kids' favorite part of Halloween, though, was answering the door and handing out the candy!

Can you say hypocrite? I know, why do I hand out the very stuff I'm trying to rid our lives of? Well, quite frankly, $4 bubble gum pack at Costco that would put smiles on 215 faces of children was much more affordable than the $10 pack of natural fruit snack that would run out after 80 kids. Lame excuse? Yeah, I'd agree.


How do you like the witches' fingers and monster toes I made for the holiday? My sister Kilee refused to eat them--they do look rather disgusting.

6 comments:

nic said...

Oh Mel, those fingers and toes are horrible! I love the family picture through. Todd looks like the real thing, and you, well, I have never know a wench. You look like a great one though! The kids are adorable! Why don't you and Todd pick out 12 pieces of your favorite candy and be good examples to your kids...or is it too hard? Hee! Hee!

aisy said...

what did you make those snacks with?? they are gross.

so what are you going to do with the leftover candy??

Kim said...

That pose looks familiar!!! (good ol' Ricks poses)

You guys are cute and I whole heartily agree about the candy dilemma. I just got done telling Jeff last night that its no wonder we have an obesity problem in this country, every holiday or get together includes lots of calories!!!! Hats off for staying away from all the nasty stuff. It takes some extra work to reprogram the way we feed ourselves but its incredible how good it feels when I eat clean.

Melissa and Jason said...

The fingers were yummy! You just couldn't think about what they looked like!

Shawn said...

Ewwwww gross! I have got to know how you made those snacks!! You all look totally fab! It's always great to find a good costume you can use at the DI!

By the way, Isaac is deathly allergic to peanuts. It's really hard to keep him away from everything, all the time. We had not had any episodes in a while though, but leave it to Halloween to ruin our streak!

Mel said...

The toes were made with Lil' Smokies wrapped with strips of tortillas and the fingers were cheese sticks and green peppers. If you want to make them for anything, check out www.familyfun.com. That's where I got the recipe!