Saturday, November 29, 2008

Late Thanks

Being busy with family, turkey, pumpkin pie and Black Friday shopping, my blog had to take the back seat for a few days. As Thanksgiving approached I had started to compile a list of things I'm thankful for. Though it is short, and 2 days post-Turkey Day, I thought I'd still share some of the thoughts I've had.

I'm Thankful For:

1. Little voices that call me Mommy.
2. Goosebump-inducing music that inevitably brings a smile, followed most often by a tear.
3. My early-morning conversations with God.
4. Though rare, a full night of sleep.
5. A brother who calls for no reason and listens as I tell of trials, then relates, counsels and speaks of truths once lost, then found in his life.
6. A clean house, or even just a toilet.
7. My Grandma, though nearly 60 years my senior, who relates and converses every bit as much as a best friend, counsels maternally, laughs spontaneously, and who I find I'm very much like. My Grandma who is most-definitely my kindred.
8. Old friends who never change.
9. Pleasant faces and satisfied bellies after I've tried a new recipe.
10. Men who still hold open a door for me.
11. A companion who accepts challenges head-on, supports, accepts and loves me completely, is a hard worker, comes home to wrestle and tickle our kids and yes, I'm even thankful for his teasings.
12. The two huge garbage bags of outgrown (but not outused) clothes left on our porch by a visiting teacher, after a day of trying unsuccessfully to find inexpensive jeans for my girls and the giggles, praises and fashion show that followed.
13. The surprise at finding $15 in my wallet by a mother who thought she was being sneaky. Oh, and her sharing her yummy chicken noodle soup with us. Thanks Mom!
14. The ability to cover gray hairs--oh the vanity!
15. Sisters, nuff said.
16. Tropical places, long hikes, the ocean, the mountains, the colors and smells of earth.

That should suffice for now, though I could go on, but kids are pulling to drape our house Christmas . . . duty calls!

2 comments:

Dainon. said...

I likey.

Ashcraft Family said...

I love the gratitude! Very poetic Melody! I think this time of year is wonderful!