Friday, November 21, 2008

Stop and Stand Still



This week has been all kinds of crazy for our little household. Todd has been helping my sister and her husband paint their newly-finished basement and has been gone every single night after work. Yesterday I reached my exhaustion level by about 6 p.m. Why? Here's a brief rundown of my yesterday: I got up at my normal 3 a.m. for work, came back, but really couldn't fall asleep; after getting the girls to school I packed the boys (and lunch, and crib and cleaning supplies) into the van and headed downtown to clean my brother's in-MUCH-need-of-MAJOR-attention apartment for a good 4-5 hours, came home and got the girls ready for their violin recital, took everyone to the recital, came back, bathed everyone and put them to bed.

After all was quiet once again in the house, I fell into bed and opened to read a chapter in the Doctrine and Covenants. I was struck by one phrase and have thought of it all day today, so I thought I'd share. It's found in D&C 5:34 -- ". . . Stop, and stand still until I command thee, and I will provide means whereby thou mayest accomplish the thing which I have commanded thee."

It was another reminder for me to slow my ever-hectic life down a bit. I loved "Stop, and stand still" -- it's the part that has stuck with me and I seem to forget all too easily what is truly important. Maybe it's a quiet moment of meditation before everyone gets up, maybe it's reading a book to one of my children or sitting long enough to watch the sun rise or set; for me it's turning off the phone or the computer.

A dear friend of mine once told me of a book about an elderly woman who was so admired because she knew how to JUST BE. I need to learn how to just BE. It means planting my feet in the sand as the waves of life ebb and flow, allowing, as the scripture states, for the Lord to provide means whereby to accomplish His work for me. Although His work requires ever-busying myself in service, I guess it also requires those quiet times.

So, a re-commitment to slow my life down is in order. Yoga anyone?

4 comments:

Deb said...

Beautiful post and reminder. Thank you!

Dainon. said...

Just don't stop and stand still near my toilet. Is that what I'm hearing here?

Mel said...

D, your toilet actually wasn't too bad--it's what has been growing in your sink with the dishes for the past few weeks since you've been gone!

Dawn Harvey said...

Who is that dear friend?....just wondering : ) Love you so much Mel, you're doing a fantastic job juggling the entire world. You ARE an angel on earth to your husband, your children and your friends. We are so blessed to know you.