Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The Modern Day Newsie



As some of you know, this has been a tough year on us financially. Not only have we felt the crunch of the ever-inflating economy, but we more than doubled our mortgage by moving here. Ouch! Never have we questioned moving here because the Spirit powerfully testified to us that it was the right choice. We took that leap of faith, kept paying our tithing and trusted Him, that He would care for us. We have had so many blessings since that our decision to move here has been justified. That being said, money was always lacking and the hole seemed more dark and deep as time went on.

A few months ago, Todd and I sat down and laid all the numbers out once again. It had become so lopsided and we had cut every unnecessary expense out, that the answer was simply that we needed more income. Todd started to look around and has taken up some nightly UVU classes to learn some new skills. I started to look for things I could do at home. I applied for Costco, Gap, Seagull, Kneaders, daycares, Anytime Fitness, Smiths Marketplace, etc. I am experienced in many things and surely in this time of "holiday hiring" someone would hire me, if even temporary, right? Nothing came through. I really felt like I was being sent a message.

Last Sunday, after yet another epiphany of our need, I plead my soul to the Lord. I placed our lives completely in His hands. I had done the work, but He must have another plan for us. Monday I was unusually happy--odd I know. I worked on the house and simply waited, trusted that something would come through. Tuesday night I got a call from the Media One district manager. A paper route in my neighborhood had just opened. Though it's not the job I saw myself in, I knew this was a direct answer to prayer and by Wednesday I was working. I decided not to speak much about my "glorious" job, yet here I am blogging about it only a week later, for reasons I will explain.

I guess I've needed some humbling, and this has truly humbled me. I am an educated mom, with a Bachelor's in Social Work degree; my husband has both a BA in Microbiology AND an MBA; I'm in my 30's--I shouldn't have to wake up at 3 a.m. to flip papers, right? Why is it I can see others, without degrees, making millions and taking the easy road? I know I shouldn't compare. Truth is everyone has their set of problems. I think I would gladly take financial issues over what others have to face. Though it's not glorious, we do what we have to do to pay the bills, right? I don't have to leave my kids. That was a huge priority for me. I don't have to adjust my schedule (except going to bed much earlier) and despite popular belief, a paper route does pay decent money.

I learned something my first day from my 59-year old boss. He flipped papers for 15+ years and claims to be "the best paper-flipper I've ever met!" He really is good at what he does--that's why he's district manager. The thing that got me was the PRIDE that he took in his work. He takes his job very seriously and is happy to be doing what he does. Did you know there is an art to flipping newspapers? I didn't. But he is teaching me. Believe me, it's not the easiest thing in the world. (You have to flick your wrist a bit.) I guess what I've learned is that no matter what you do, you can take pride in doing it. We are who people depend on day in and day out. We don't sleep and we don't get a day off--ever. It's true that the Lord answers us in ways that we really don't expect. NO WAY did I see myself sleep-deprived, stuffing and flipping newspapers. Again, humble pie.

So, if you see me in my pj's at noon, my eyes a little bloodshot, you'll know why. Neighbors, if you're up getting a drink or putting a child back to bed about 4 or 5 a.m. and happen to see my green van driving erratically on the wrong side of the road, don't be alarmed. If I don't stay late to meetings, book groups or other such get-togethers, don't be offended. It's just your friendly neighborhood newspaper carrier.

Oh, and wherever you are, if you take the paper, please tip your carrier. Believe me, they deserve it.

5 comments:

Dawn Harvey said...

Mel, they should make a Newsies II with you in it! You could totally leave Christian Bale in the dust. What an example of a woman who doesn't sit back and let life happen, but takes CONTROL! Get's it done. You know I love you more than life and I think of how exhausted you must be every day. I really wish that I lived closer so that I could help take kids so that you could nap. You really should have a newspaper throwing training at your house one afternoon. We could all use a little instruction in that department. LOVE YOU!

nic said...

Every morning this week, I rose tired, but with little complaint, because, I knew you already had been up. Wow, you are a great example of a woman of sacrifice. My mornings have been easier because of you. Now how can I help you?

Melinda said...

Oh wow girl! I feel for you as I had a paper route for years when I was in 3rd grade to 9th grade. At least you can drive a car...I had to ride my bike. And yes, there is for certain a technique to flipping a paper.

David and Jana said...

Mel- I admire you. David and I substituted for a few days for a lady in our ward who has a newspaper route and WOW it is hard work. I will never take it for granted again that it is an easy job. You are an amazing woman! We love you guys!

Helen Macfarlane said...

I expect to see you dancing down the street and body slamming other news carriers!