Sunday, July 11, 2010

My Sunday Thoughts

I've been pondering lately about raising my 5 children in this world. How do I do it successfully? How do I shield them from ugliness? When I've watched so many of those I love dearly, yes even myself, struggle with the age-old obstacle of deciding what is right and what is wrong on a daily basis, how do I teach them? I am so imperfect myself. The world is full of so many gruesome, distorted things, warped minds of people ever-being influenced by evil, many of whom are successfully tainting the purity, the confidence, the innocence of the very young ones. How is it that I am given the heavy burden of raising and instructing them, safeguarding not only their bodies, but their minds, their souls? It seems the "worldliness" of this world is only getting worse, so much more so than even 10 or 20 years ago. I admit it. I'm scared spitless for what lies ahead for them.

I went to listen to my cousin speak in church today. He just returned from a mission in France. Wow. What an amazing, stalwart man he has become. Just like his two older brothers.
Then there is my aunt Colleen, his mother. She gives the BEST hugs. She is also gentle, meek, quiet, polite, soft-spoken and has the cutest, most contagious, quiet giggle you will ever hear on anyone over 50--all traits passed on to her children (save for the giggle). I wondered, how do I change my nature? How can I be more like that? Sadly, I'm just not. My Uncle Daryn is not only a successful dentist, but the bishop of their ward. Looking at them all, you would never think they have had a bad day in their life. The truth is, they have had many dark days, many tears. They lost two daughters, one from SIDS and the other was hit by a car at 7 years old, not to mention the innumerable miscarriages my aunt had. I have always looked up to this family, their strength. Through it all they carry with them the Light of Christ, the Love of God. I can't help but wonder how they have done it? How have they raised 3 boys and 1 daughter to be so incredible, staying true to everything they have been taught and know is right?

I think that Love is what makes all the difference. After all, it is the first and second great commandments. Today my cousin quoted his mission president and it has stuck with me all day. He said, "There are two types of people in this world: those you already love and those you don't know yet." I love that! Just like that, we should love everyone. It should be simple enough, right? Sometimes it is just not that easy. That means if I have issue with someone, it is 100% my responsibility to change that. If I don't feel love for someone, shame on me--my heart needs to change, not theirs. Another "Aha" moment for me.

Love is what will change me. Love is what my children need to feel. Love is what will teach them and safeguard them. Christ is Love. It was so awesome today, sitting at a table with my cousins, with family, laughing and sharing stories. It was a taste of heaven and a comfort knowing that our relationships will never end. Our laughter, our conversations will continue into the eternities because that is how far we are bound. I know it.

Family is where it's at! And I LOVE my family!

Thanks for enduring my Sunday's ramblings. . . .

2 comments:

Kim said...

I'm going to read your post to my kids tonight for FHE. We're going to talk about how Jeff and I can help them. Jeff already said he feels like they all need father's blessing. I LOVED your thoughts. I feel so much of what you're are feeling. Thanks for sharing Mel. Love you.

Amy said...

What a beautiful post, thank you for sharing your thoughts.