Monday, March 21, 2011

Money Matters Monday

So, this is a late Monday post--sorry. Hectic day all around. But I wanted to post something about my new meal swap plan. I wrote about it on my IAHY post for this week. I love it!! You can read about my plan there, but Monday is my day to make a meal and this is what I made tonight. Not sure what to call it as I threw a bunch of stuff in the last time I made it. Who knew it would be a hit with my family? I just hope the other two families liked it as well as we did.

Most of the ingredients come from home storage:

Pork, Rice, Beans Wraps

1 can black beans
1 can pinto or kidney beans
2 cans corn
1 can pork (or other meat)
1 can diced tomatoes (the lime and cilantro flavored kind is what I used—yum)
1/2 jar sweet chile sauce
1/2 jar salsa
dash of cumin
First I sautéed some garlic in a pan, then added the meat—let that sauté together, then added the rest.
I made white rice then put rice in a flour tortilla (I like the ones you cook yourself that can be found at Walmart or Costco), then the stuff above, topped with cheese, plain yogurt (or sour cream) and finally fresh cilantro. It was really good and made for an easy, healthy, quick meal!

Why on my "Money Monday" post you ask? I made this for three families so had to triple it. I totaled up all the ingredients that I got for it from Walmart today. It came out to $23.36 (not including the tortilla chips from Costco that I split up and gave them as well). That's for 3 families! That comes out to $7.79 per family and it made a TON! I have enough left over for another night of this meal for my family. I am saving money, time, energy and sanity. I look forward to the rest of the weeks' meals that will be brought to me! You should try out this meal swap thing. It's rather nifty and thrifty.

3 comments:

JoEllen said...

Hey Mel! Long time! I'm happy for you that you have this arrangement. I've been doing a meal swap (just one other family though) for about 18 months now and just found out last night that our friends are moving a month from today. SO sad. I agree with you, it is...awesome. For time, for sanity, for not having to clean your kitchen, and for $.
love you!

Amberlynn said...

That is awesome Melody. I know Christina Swenson has been doing a meal swap for about a year and a half and she swears by it. I have not stayed in a place long enough to try it, but I would like to as some point. Love you!

Amy said...

Check this website out. http://budgetbytes.blogspot.com/ I've made the coconut rice pilaf (the 2nd time I made this I used brown jasmine rice and just doubled the water), the marinara sauce (love it!), the chicken chili verde, the pizza sauce, and the spinach lasagna roll ups.